Curly!!

Curly!!
Welcome!

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

There used to be some dark days

The days seem to be ticking away before we leave!
In the process of selecting books and sketchbooks to take, I found a small moleskine book that I have not used for a while. I had it constantly with me to write quotes, notes and to draw. For example the windmill was draw from boat at sailing weekend in northern Holland, or the turtles from the anthropological museum in Mexico city.

In the end I didn't not use it too much for drawing, although in the summer of 2010 I had to spend allot of time in the hospital with my mom. The sketches I'm showing today are quite personal, but I think it is good to let go. After many years of sickness she passed away in november 2011.

Drawing has always been very therapeutic for me, and even though sometimes they can be dark drawings. Most of the drawing I make are ideas that cheer me up, and are also the ones I prefer to post. But I guess we are all human, and sometimes we also need to grief.






6 comments:

  1. It's perfectly fine to post sketches from dark days. It gives you more authenticity. I like them all. They ring true.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing, I'm sorry for your loss.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dont find them dark, to me they have that raw reality, the emotions and feelings of life and I can really feel them when I look at your sketches. Life is not all about smiles and pretty things, and you really show this here with an open heart and mind, and I find that beautiful. Im sorry for your loss of your mum, lots of hugs!!! And I look forward to see what you will sketch in your new book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your drawings are powerful, and it's great that you're now able to show them and let go of the weight. All my thoughts go to you in your time of grief, and I wish you a lot of happy drawings to come!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, your drawings are very powerful and personal, and I'm so glad you felt able to share them. I'm sorry for your loss and wish you and your family peace. nancy

    ReplyDelete
  6. It is a very dark day when you lose a parent. Both of mine are gone now. My mother went after a very long 10 year illness and my dad after a very short one. It hurts either way and you'll miss her forever but the hurting eases. Glad you could share the drawings.

    ReplyDelete