Curly!!

Curly!!
Welcome!

Monday, May 14, 2012

Trying to get inspiration

Hello hello!

Today I'm not totally thrilled with my drawings. I thought I would be doing much more, but there seems to be so many different things going on. Even if I do stay a whole day at home.

So the first part of this post is to show you a working in progress of a project for my friend Star who asked me to design a tree which its branches form birds... quite a challenge, since I'm not that good with trees or birds hahaha! So here is my first sketch, of course, its just a study to see where I'm heading to.



Next i my favourite of last week, I did it while enjoying the breeze at the English Language Library here in Merida. Apparently the house we're living in does not have the best positioning (East to West instead of North to South) and that's why even the garden is quite warm. We have a Nopal, or cactus, in teh garden between all the tropical plants. So I decided to use my old characters of other drawings- owl kid and wild cat kid- The detail on the nopal leaves was quite time consuming as well, hence why it took long to update.



Finally, one day I did go outside to draw and cover myself in sweat. I did some plants but didn't like them, so I turned the page and started a face. This is a bit of the result.
I have found art classes, but I haven't really decided if I want to go because I might be working with a ecotourism project at the local university.. I feel I have to take a quick decision but then I try to relax and think that we've been here just for 2 weeks and not everything has to be resolved.



And umm yeah, still working on the old sketch book.. haven't found the courage to start a the new one with fears it will be ruined haha. But I know I should get over it!

Thank you guys for commenting! I hope you enjoy the drawings!


10 comments:

  1. I had trouble enlarging your drawings to see them clearly, but from what I can tell you've made a wonderful start with them! And your portrait is very good too. nancy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks! I will check out the drawings and why you can't see them.. maybe the quality of the picture?

      Delete
  2. I think you have a good start, too. I wonder what would happen if you turned your sketchbook and worked landscape format. Your tree would become wider for more birds. I feel like the tree is limited by the portrait format. I love the way the birds' tails become part of the foliage. Clever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm yeah maybe you're right.. a kind of bonsai idea... cool thanks!!

      Delete
  3. The trees & birds are great, like the trees too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the way you are going already. Add some color and see how you like it.

    Neat face and cactus plant pictures.

    Well heck, go ruin a page in your new sketchbook, then gesso over it and get going on the real stuff!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha you're right! I'll get into my new sketchbook!

      Delete
  5. I like where this tree is headed. Perhaps landscape, but also maybe just a larger sheet of paper. It just seems so limited in that small space. Nice sketches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah.. I'll try both, but the trunk tends to come out large :P

      Delete
  6. I think these trees are taking you the right direction, they are neat and I think you own unique style... I also like the birds on them. But what I like the most is all the lines, very nice contrast against the white (I like the graphic style of it).

    Looking forward to se eyour next sketches.

    Mari

    ReplyDelete