Curly!!

Curly!!
Welcome!

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

A little adventure

Hello hello!

We've been visiting pyramids the last few weekends here in Yucatan. Mayan piramids. They're incredible, so if you ever have the chance you should visit them :)

On our trips we tend to leave Merida quite early in order to be there before the crowds and it has worked pretty well. Pictures without tourists and many animals that come out in the cool of the morning. Also you get the idea of being a real explorer. This was the inspiration for my drawing today!

I have also been watching a dutch series called O'Hanlons Helden (O'Hanlons Heroe's) which is a serie-documentary about a english man who knows so much about history and biology and all those amazing subjects. In the series he follows the foot-steps of his heroes who where the men that "discovered" gorillas or dinosaurs or Mongolia. It is truly fascinating, funny and in English, if you would like to see it (you can go to VPRO.nl)

So I drew a small explorer. I have to say that many explorers where actually more barbaric than the cultures they discovered. Here in Mexico many pyramids where blown up, libraries burnt and treasures stolen, but I guess it's all part of history. Lets just say that this is a friendly modern explorer like Dora the Explorer hahaha totally harmless!



The last sketch follows my new trauma with cactus and a probable design for my batik experiment (when i find a pot to melt the wax.. any suggestions?)



Please keep commenting, i really do read them all and they make me tons of happy! I didn't reply to last ones (don't want to discriminate some since all i can think about saying is: thank you) but if you have any ideas suggestions or whatever I will! :)


8 comments:

  1. great drawings - love the cactus. I'll have to keep an ear and eye out for that doco series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah it's real good! I think in uitzendinggemist.nl are all chapters :)

      Delete
  2. I love your explorer! Yes, to more of the Dora the Explorer variety over some of the others. Yours is a very cute one!

    For a batik pot, I learned way back in junior highschool to use a coffee can to hold the wax and it is set in a pan of water that is on the burner so it is indirect heat. You don't have to ever worry about cleaning the can for another use either! I don't know for sure if that was your question. I think a batik of this cactus will be wonderful. If you do it on sturdy fabric you could turn it into a tote for your art supplies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are just charming and very well done! nancy

    ReplyDelete